Sunday, December 25, 2005

eric rohmer makes some sexy-ass movies


Over the last three nights, it has been my distinct pleasure to finally get around to watching Eric Rohmer's "Pauline at the Beach", "Chloe in the Afternoon", and "My Evening at Maude's". All three were erotically-charged, private little pictures about infidelity, trust, and human nature. It should go without saying that I loved them, and I look forward to seeing any and all of his work that I can get my hands on. One scene in particular, in "Chloe in the Afternoon", had me near tears with the excitement I feel as an aspiring writer when someone is saying something in exactly the words that I have tried to put together before, but failed. The protagonist has become involved in a friendship that is beginning to look as though it could become an affair. He loves his wife, but he is incredibly attracted to a female friend, who is openly trying to seduce him. He gives this wonderfully real speech about how he will always have a wandering eye and the need to flirt, but how those very things serve as constant reminders of why he can never and will never be unfaithful to his wife: because every woman he sees is a reminder of what he has found in her. Every long leg is her leg, every collar bone is her collar bone, all lips are her lips. I fucking loved it.

RIYL: John Updike's "Rabbit" books, the music of The Afghan Whigs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home