Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Please help King Hippo shoot the "ART SHOWS" video

Dear Pillage People/King Hippo friend,

I know this sounds crazy dumb, but I am making a video for my new song "Art Shows," and I need a bunch of indie rock girls to hang out during two different scenes, and I was wondering if you would consider it.

What the song attempts to do, and what I hope the video will do, is satirize the often stuffy world of art, commenting on the strange joylessness that seems to have permeated (at least the social aspect of) such a joyful thing. Also, I am trying to draw parallels between the world of art and the world of rap music. I feel that both have somehow been transormed into something commercial and...just not what they were meant to be.

On Monday, the 13th, we're shooting in the drawing classroom of Turner Art Center (corner of Rutherford and Centenary), at 6:30 P.M. Apparently, I will be wearing a sarong and (collaborator on "Art Shows") Lumenz will be wearing a fedora and eating grapes - I have no idea. My friend Sara Smith is directing, so she may have more of an idea about this madness.

Then Saturday, the 18th, from 10:00 AM-11:00 AM in the lobby of Marjorie Lyons Playhouse, we will be enacting the "art gallery scene," whereupon I will wear a painting reproduction around my neck like a pendant and rhyme nasty things with Basquiat.

If you could make it to either one of these events, that would be just swell. Please?

Chris Jay


Please visit www.guerrillagirls.com
"Less than 5% of the artists in the Metropolitan Museum are female. More than 85% of the nudes in the Met are female."

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Jay said...

Bill, if you come to the video (which I was assuming you couldn't, for some reason) you can be whatever you want, although I would prefer you just be what you are - Billy Vidrine, in full Vidrine regalia.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, a guest appearance by the Vidrines would be amazing.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

...now that I re-read Chris' post I thought for a second "Wait, did he say Vagina regalia???"

1:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Less than 5% of the artists in the Metropolitan Museum are female. More than 85% of the nudes in the Met are female."

My great Aunt once told me that the female nude body is beautiful work of art; Men on the other hand are not. I’m not sure why she told me this, and I was very young at the time. This was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw this statistic.

The statistic that Less than 5% of the artists in the Metropolitan Museum are female is very shocking.

I like your idea for the video, it’s very ambitious.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home