Friday, February 24, 2006

Bill Joyce's "Bumped" Cover for The New Yorker


Bill Joyce created a beautiful Mardi Gras-themed New Yorker cover, which I think does a moving job of showing the laughter and the tears that are both going to be a part of this year's celebration. The cover was "bumped" so they could run a cover about Shotgun Dick Cheney popping caps in his friends. Boo. I wanted to share it, anyway. The more of his work I see, the more I realize how much I like this guy as an artist. His illustrations for Michael Chabon's "Summerland," in particular. I don't know what it is - surrealism, fantasy, an ever-present dash of something grotesque. All of that is present in this image, that was created out of a need to keep Louisiana alive in the mids of New Yorker readers. I guess a clever jab at Dick Cheney was more important. I read somewhere that America forgets about major events - including tragedies - in 10 days.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I’m not sure who posted this blog, but thanks for sharing the beautiful cover from Bill. I really really like it in many ways.

And yes I agree whole heartedly with your dismay over it being bumped for yet another story about the hunting accident involving Dick Cheney. I mean, both guys involved are old as dirt and it’s not that damn surprising that dude got hit with a few pellets. The story was/is waayyy over blown and whatever political point the media is obsessing over is lost on the average American because we are sick of hearing about it.

It’s almost like a cover up to steer America away from the biggest story in the world right now which is the attack on freedom of speech and press across Europe from those Danish cartoons published 4 months ago.

If hurricane Kartina happened in NYC, it would still be a front page story everyday. Shit, it would have its own cabel channel.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just when I thought a break from college-life-dom would free up time for a post, I see that Chris has made an exemplary one. I can't bump that down for some lame indie rock.

Thanks for sharing.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

ABC World News Tonight's coverage of Mardi Gras seemed quite ridiculous to me. They made it seem like the piece was going to be on the festivities and how this was a rejuvenation of the city, but 80% of the piece ended up just showing waterlogged houses and people crying and FEMA trailers never showing up and other stuff I've been seeing for the past 3 months.

8:29 AM  
Blogger helen erpud said...

i officially own ass clowns. i am the shit.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home